Around the World by Motorhome!
An around-the-world journey by motorhome!
Inveterate travellers and avid readers, Stephen and Monia, research and plan their next big adventure.
Where to Begin...?
Well, a motor home would be nice. Only problem is, we have no vehicle and really no idea where to start. All we knew is that it seemed like a good idea at the time... so we're starting from scratch and proceeding to research our way to departure day.
This site is a record of that research and, once we depart, will become our peregrination journal.
Why a Motorhome?
Some years back we took the children on a cruise in the South Pacific and really liked the fact that we could just "unpack once". No airports to worry about or connecting flights to miss, no excess baggage on account of all the souvenirs bought here and there, no odd socks with their mate left behind in the motel bathroom...
But cruises cover oceans and we wanted to see things... flights are even worse. What we needed was the means to undertake an "overland cruise".
Aren't RVs and Campervans for holidays?
Well, yes, they are. Mostly. One flies to one's destination, missing all the country(ies) in between; rents a camper van or recreational vehicle at the airport; "unpacks once"; does one's holiday, returning the van at the end; experiences excess baggage fees, airports and flight schedules; and flies home. That is not what we wanted...
People have travelled the world in a camping car. Certainly a possibility but we're getting on - and by the time we leave will have "gotten on" a bit more - so "camping" in any state is not that attractive anymore. In any case, where would we put all our books?
Researching our Way to Departure Day
So the starting point seems to be: how does one drive around the world and carry one's house on one's back? This leads to so many questions, it's almost insane...
- Do we buy here and ship? Or fly and buy?
- Would it be cheaper to engage in serial rentals, changing vehicles at national borders?
- How do you get a vehicle across a border, let alone an ocean?
- What type of vehicle? Truck chassis or car-like? Front-wheel or rear-wheel drive? Left-hand or right-hand drive?
- What floor layout? Fold-down bed? or fixed? What size kitchen?
- How much water should we carry? What about "grey" and "black" water capacity?
- What licenses would we need: car, truck, heavy vehicle or light?
- Vehicle warranties? Base vehicle service centre networks?
- And, insurance? Is it even possible to insure a motorhome on a world tour?
Why all these questions? Well, we live in New Zealand so we can't just drive across the border - you might be beginning to see the size of the challenge ahead...
But rest assured, all these questions and their answers, and the decisions we make along the way, will be unveiled as we research our way to departure day.
Join us in our pre-travel research and, please, accept our invitation to contribute your ideas and experience to help us with this somewhat monumental undertaking. Creating our own... Motorhome Heaven!
Stephen and Monia
- We're Going to Buy a Motor Home!
- What we took into account when preparing to buy a motor home. Surprisingly, not all was self-evident.
- Different Types of RVs and Motorhomes
- The number of different types of RVs and motorhomes left us staggered. Read about what we found.
- Who are the Motorhome Manufacturers? And where are they?
- Motorhome manufacturers are found everywhere there are people who like motorhomes. And that's worldwide.
- Motorhome Parts and Accessories
- Without a reliable supply of motorhome parts and accessories, our journey ends before it begins
- Are 5th Wheels Right for us?
- 5th wheels are a strong contender for our motorhome of choice. Do they suit your needs?
- Our Motorhome Wishlist
- Based on our research, here is our motorhome wishlist. What advice can you offer us? What have we not considered?
- Motorhome Living: The Journal
- This is the record of our research into motorhome living, our decision and our journey. And there is space for your stories too!
- Motor Homes for Sale
- These are some of the places we looked when we started looking for motor homes for sale.
- Motor Home Rentals
- Motor home rentals are the solution for land-cruising. Arrive, unpack once, holiday and return.
- Camper Vans for Sale: in New Zealand and around the World
- When you're travelling, where can you find used camper vans for sale?
- Is Camper Van Rental a Solution?
- Serial camper van rental is certainly a possibility. But does it suit our purpose?
- Heaven Sent!
- What's new in Motorhome Heaven?
- Motorhome News
- Motorhome news from around the world
- Campervan News
- Campervan news from around the world
- RV News
- RV news from around the world
- Learn more about us
- About us
- Contact us
- Use this page to contact us